Join our social networks!
The purpose of the Global Health Special Interest Group (SIG) is to provide resources, information, and support to SIG, Section, and APTA members regarding topics spanning global health, health disparities, cultural competency, disability issues, and service-learning in resource limited settings.
Join the GHSIG by logging into the website and updating your profile.
Resources - Access numerous resource documents of interest to members. Available only to members with login access.
Global Health SIG Ronnie Leavitt Social Responsibility Award Criteria & Information (PDF)
Global Health SIG Functions:
- Provide programming and opportunities for the exchange of information related to: 1) considerations concerning culture and diversity 2) international and global physical therapy 3) service-learning 4) health disparities 5) other related membership interests.
- Serve as a direct resource to the HPA Section on health policy and administrative matters related to cultural and diversity considerations including health disparities.
- Network within membership of the SIG, HPA Section, and APTA to develop and publish resources as well as provide forums for communication and discussion of cultural, global, and health disparity physical therapy concerns.
- Serve as a liaison to outside organizations sharing similar interests and seek to establish networks and collaborative programs to promote culturally competent physical therapy practices, and promote improving health policy toward and administration of physical therapy within the United States and the world.
- Collaborate with physical therapists from other countries to advance physical therapy education, exchanges, and programs.
- Encourage physical therapy research and publication in the areas of culture and diversity considerations, international and global physical therapy practice, service-learning, health disparities and other related membership interests.
- Provide such services as will further its Purpose.
Ronnie Leavitt and Karen Schumacher co-founded the Cross-cultural and International Physical Therapy Interest Group, now the Global Health SIG in 1986. In February 1996, we became the Cross Cultural International Special Interest Group within the Health, Policy & Administration Section. We would love to have you join our SIG where members have numerous resources and networking opportunities in areas related to culture and physical therapy.
How to Join the SIG
There is no additional charge to become a member of the Global Health SIG however, you must be a member of the Section on Health Policy & Administration (HPA) and APTA in order to join the SIG. Join the Global Health SIG by logging into this website and editing the Bio section of your profile (scroll down to bottom).
Global Health SIG Leadership